Sunday 19 February 2012

Counting Dolphins

So this past week has been the gloriousness that is Half Term.

In the past, I have often had time off school ram-packed with exciting visits and adventures. Then my thesis happened, so I spent (nearly) all my spare hours on that. Since then, I have led a much more sedate holiday-life. From what I can gauge, based on three thesis-less holidays so far (Oct, Christmas and Feb), I now mostly spend them floating between Parentsville and my house, often wiling away hours in Costa with Mother, or arranging short-ish meeting-ups with a select one or two friends, rather than a few days here, and another few there, with a little frantic crossover time in between into which I squeeze a few more café visits.

(It would appear that many of the friends I used to cram into my weeks are now living in far-off lands, which makes meeting up with them a little harder than before. And by 'far-off lands', I mostly mean 'not in Harborough'. Although there are a few in actual far-off lands, like 'Japan' and 'Germany' and 'Doncaster'...)


Sometimes I find this new existence a little directionless. Other times, I find it lazily delectable.


Anyway, what this new-found laziness has allowed me to do this week, is read two and a half novels. Mostly light, frothy, relatively insubstantial novels, but novels nonetheless.

Anyway (anyway), the first I read this week was called "Breakfast at Darcy's" (you see, even the title is frothy). It's about a girl whose only living relative (I think), her aunt, dies, and leaves her a large sum of money and an (almost) uninhabited island. She can only inherit the money if she lives on the island for a year, with the company of at least 14 others. There's one man who's been living on the island since forever, and he's full of all sorts of island folklore and mythology.

One of the stories he tells is about dolphins. They are only sighted in the seas surrounding the island when change is afoot. The more there are, the more change is about to occur. (it's something to do with them being under the reign of the King (or Queen) of the island, and seeking their counsel / approval / somethingorother as things begin to change. I think.)


So then the thought came to me the other day, that I felt like I was counting dolphins.

Change is afoot.


I feel like I've been saying that a lot recently...

Maybe because of the new year, and then the new month, and now the snow is gone and spring is around the corner...



Anyway, I'm excited by the change.



Bring on the dolphins!

No comments:

Post a Comment